Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo (¡Arriba!)

I have no claims of knowing the "real" Mexico.

I have been to Mexico twice. Both of those times mark my only experiences with the "all-inclusive" package, both of which were exactly what I needed at the time, even though it is a far cry from the way in which I typically like to travel. Both involved lots of scuba diving, and the first trip will always be memorable as the one in which I became certified, while the second will have a place in my mind as the time that one of my best friends got certified and was able to dive with me (here's to many underwater adventures in the future, Juju).

My grandparents who have been spending a month in Mazatlan for the past 15 years would have way more business writing a blog post about Mexico. Not to add any fire (pun intended?) to the debate over the safety of Mexico, but last year they were dining out when drug-related violence broke out nearby (including grenade throwing if I am not totally making this up). They were fine, a bit shaken, but returned this year, despite all the stories of cruise ships changing their routes to avoid the Pacific port city. They love Mexico and have made a lot of friends there over nearly two decades of travel. My Mexico mainly includes making faces at Moray eels and ordering champagne with dinner, because I can.

But still. Viva Mexico!

One day, I will talk about how awesome the diving is in the Yucatan- I have experience with Cozumel and the Belize Barrier Reef, both of which are excellent (points go to Cozumel for the better turtle situation). But for now, I'll just leave you with goofy pictures.

Viva Mexico! Diving off of Playa del Carmen on the Belize Barrier Reef. We are facing the reef, so I promise it looks way cooler than this photo might indicate. J on the left is on her first or second open water dive- she was still figuring out buoyancy and hadn't yet figured out her underwater pose...

 Flotsam, Jetsam, now I got her boys, the boss is on a roll 
(above photos courtesy of Jaime, J's instructor)

My mom took this when we left the grounds of the all-inclusive via rental car for a scenic drive around Cozumel, a failed attempt at seeing Mayan ruins, and dinner/shopping in Cozumel town (city?). That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion hiding my head in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...